29 September 2007

Book Report: The Time Traveler's Wife

Lots to blog about, after our week away (we arrived home safely tonight, after a six-hour car journey, made faster by cheering on The Cats to their amazing victory).

But before I write about our holiday, I want to have a quick rave about The Time Traveler's Wife, which I finshed during the week.

I've spent most of the last month savouring Henry and Clare and their very strange life. Audrey Niffenegger drew me in straight away - not only has she created a fantastic plot device, she also managed to create characters that I really cared about. Alas, that's the hardest thing in writing to pull off I think.

I cared so much for the characters, that one event late in the story had me gasp embarrassingly loudly while reading on the train. By this point, I pretty much knew what was in store for the lovers, so I didn't want to finish the novel on the train.

I left the last pages unread for a few days until I was away, and I could nestle down and read undisturbed - not an easy feat in my house (holiday or otherwise). But I needed to finish without interruption, because I knew the ending would make me weepy. It did.

Beautifully written, entertaining, moving. The Time Traveler's Wife has gone to 'my five favourite books' list (I'm not sure which book I'll knock off the list though to make room for it though - maybe I'll have a 'my six favourite books' list instead).

The only problem I have now is what to follow it up with. I've chosen Maggie O'Farrell's The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox. And I'm enjoying that too, but not to the same extent. It's kind of like my rebound book...

2 comments:

moggy said...

I just KNEW you would love that book. I'll have to read it again, it has been over a year...

Don't forget I must get those recipes for you or I will be In Trouble. I have your Age mag too!

delamare said...

OK - now you are responsible for two of my all-time favourite books! (The other one is North & South.)

Yes, I definitely have that feature on Rumi. I'll copy the recipes for you ... I want to cook the rice pudding and the chicken wings baked with potatoes, lemon and garlic too!