20 October 2008

Guilty pleasures

There is a scene in series two of the American version of The Office in which the characters discuss their desert island movies - the five DVDs they would take with them if stranded on an island (with some form of power of course). One of the characters says that her list includes movies like Bridges of Madison Country and Legends of the Fall - and Legally Blonde. While her choices are generally derided, another character states that she actually quite likes Legally Blonde, to which her friend replies that this is a choice of your greatest movies of all time, not your guilty pleasures list.

Well, I have a confession to make. While I could tell you what is on my list of greatest television series of all time, I am always completely stumped when it comes to my list of all time great movies. I know that The Philadelphia Story and When Harry Met Sally would make the list, but beyond that, I'm afraid I am stumped.

I could come up with a list of movies that made me laugh uncontrollably when I first saw them (which would include but is certainly not limited to Cat Ballou, What's Up Doc?, Spinal Tap, Best in Show and 40 Year Old Virgin), my favourite romantic comedies, my top period films, and movies that swept me up in their excitement. But coming up with a definitive list of my-desert-island-movies is not possible.

Is it because there are just too many choices, or is it because my choices always look a bit naff when I come to list them? I suspect that it's a combination of both.

So I'll just confess now about what's currently starring on my guilty pleasures list - The Lake House with Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock. Wooden acting (not just Keanu's), nonsensical plot, pretty pictures. Can't get enough of it. It's like eating Oero cookies ... you know you shouldn't, but you can't stop.

And yes, Legally Blonde would probably make my list of guilty pleasures too.

1 comment:

Kath Lockett said...

Hey, I'm in no position to judge - I own a copy of Duece Bigalow - Male Gigolo on DVD! Oh and I'm eating Oreos whilst typing this!!