16 October 2008

Things I know now

My blogging speed has decreased significantly these past few months, but that doesn't mean that I've been unaware of what's been happening around me. I've just been too tired/emotional/busy to comment on them.

So here's a quick list of things I didn't know much about until recently.
  • It's hard to explain to a 13-year-old what you're supposed to do in an analytical essay.


  • Canada celebrates Thanksgiving in mid-October. (We celebrated it last weekend at a Canadian friend's house.) Oh, and pumpkin pie is yummy.
  • Watching episodes of overseas television series on YouTube is not that satisfying because they get broken up into little bits. 
  • Sarah Palin is one scary woman.
  • So is Colleen McCullough, but for different reasons. (Please stop calling Mr Darcy Fitz!)
  • Trains are much more pleasant to travel on when every second one isn't being cancelled. I've been getting a seat most mornings, which is a much nicer way to start to my day because I can read.
  • Happily, scarves continue to be a fashionable item for summer, which is great when you have a neck that has been around for 40 plus years. Unfortunately though,  leggings-worn-as-outer-wear continue to be a blight on society.
  • Having reflux is not fun.
  • I held an utterly beautiful newborn baby yesterday and for the first time in my adult life, I didn't feel clucky for one of my own.
  • Getting kids to get themselves ready in the morning can be hell. (That may explain the previous observation!)

3 comments:

Kath Lockett said...

I always wondered what pumpkin pie tasted like.
And Colleen McCulloch has always had a kangaroo loose in her top paddock!

Amelia said...

i do not miss the sandringham line!!

delamare said...

Amelia, it is getting better, as they have increased the frequency of the trains. You still wouldn't get a seat from Balaclava in the rush hour though. And I'm not looking forward to extra hot summer days as that's when the trains get cancelled a lot - just when it is really revolting to be squashed into an overcrowded carriage.... :(