12 January 2007

Ode to my dentist

I have always been terrified of the dentist. To the point where I put off going for years. To the point where I need to have gas to have my teeth cleaned.

It's not due to a fear of the injections - while I don't like needles, I'm not bothered by them. And it's not because I'm frightened of pain. That's what the needles are for, after all, and I have endured worse pain. (Pushed my first two babies out with virtually no pain relief, thank you very much.)

It's the noise I can't stand. I find it excruciating. I want to run away from it, and will do anything to avoid it. The only way I can bear it is to have a nice dose of nitrous oxide to let me float away, not really caring about that unpleasant high pitched drilling going on in my head. Weeeeee!

The only problem is that fewer and fewer dentists are using it. So I've been getting quite desperate in my need to find an understanding dentist who is excellent at his craft, and understands that my fear isn't all in my head (tee hee). So anytime anyone comments that they go to a great dentist, I pounce on them to ask whether they use the magic gas. The answer is usually no (I think because some people have awful reactions to it).

Thankfully, I found such a dentist, and the answer was right under my nose, so to speak. My siblings are both even more terrified of the dentist than me, and they have discovered the dentist of our collective dreams. Excellent at his profession, kind, a great communicator, and he uses nitrous oxide, if that is what's needed. Oh my. Over the past six weeks, I've visited him four times, had four massive fillings and my teeth cleaned, and have not felt scared once.

Thank you Dr E. And I don't have to go back for a year. Weeeeeeee!

No comments: